(Test Code 4047)
The Cardio ION is a combination of nutritional tests that gives a nutritional assessment and identifies risk factors for cardiovascular disease (CVD). Specifically, this nutritional test measures levels of fatty acids, amino acids, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, organic acids, and risk factors for CVD.
CVD is a major cause of deaths in Australia and it affects 1 in 6 Australians. An evaluation of standard lipid markers does not provide optimal assessment of risk. The Cardio ION nutritional test goes beyond conventional serum lipid markers offering a comprehensive assessment in the prevention of CVD.
• Fatty acid imbalances which can lead to chronic inflammation. Current research finds levels of specific fatty acids to be strongly correlated to CVD.
• High fibrinogen is associated with increased risk of clots and CVD
• Homocysteine is an important risk factor for not only CVD, but stroke and dementia as well
• Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is essential for proper mitochondrial function and energy use. It also acts as an antioxidant. Cardiac cells have high mitochondrial demand. Statins can decrease CoQ10 levels.
• Fasting insulin is an indicator of insulin resistance. Hyperinsulinaemia has been associated with a cluster of CVD risk factors.
• Insufficient antioxidant status is associated with increased oxidation. Oxidative damage is believed to play a role in heart and vascular disease by promoting inflammation.
• Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
• Immune Disorders
• Mental/Emotional Disorders
• Learning and Behaviour Disorders
• Multiple Chemical Sensitivities
• Inflammatory Conditions
NOTICE TO PATIENTS
WellLab practices in the usual practitioner-referral system for pathology laboratories. Patients are highly recommended to seek the supervision and guidance of a qualified healthcare practitioner for the interpretation of any lab results and associated information. WellLab can offer assistance in locating a suitable practitioner.
Organic Acids profile, Amino Acids profile, 8OHdG, Fatty acid profile
(Omega 3/6/9, monounsaturated, saturated, trans, ratios), Homocysteine,
CoQ10, Vitamin A, b-carotene, 25OH Vit D3 & Vit D2, a-tocopherol,
y-tocopherol, Mg, K, Zn, Cu, Se, Ca, Al, As, Cd, Pb, Hg; Cholesterol,
Triglycerides, HDL, LDL, ratios, Ferritin, Fibrinogen, hsCRP, Insulin,
Testosterone, SHBG, FAI